This week, I'll be away on my annual Christmas Vacation. So today and Thursday, our new publishing days, I'll be posting Best of Biblical Conservatism articles that I feel are pertinent to our current moment in time. Merry Christmas!
Earlier this week, I attended my company’s nondescript “Holiday Party” where we had a nondescript “Holiday Tree.” I’m officially done with it. I’m tired of the political correctness, and I don’t just mean the fact that I enjoy getting shocked looks when someone says someone is Indian and I respond “dots or feathers?” Yes, I do enjoy poking the liberal politically correct machine. I also enjoy calling homeless people “hobos” but that’s really just because “hobo” is a fun word. All that aside, there is something I’ve got to say to the liberal politically correct machine, and please, listen carefully: It’s Merry Christmas. Get over it.
That’s right, Merry Christmas. You see, it used to be that “Happy Holidays” was a short way of saying “Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.” Now it’s become this way to not dare to offend someone. It used to be that you said Merry Christmas to basically everybody, and then if you had Jewish friends you wished them Happy Chanukah. I’ve got news for you liberals: 95% of Americans celebrate Christmas, according to Gallup. You got that? 95%...and the other 5% is not being injured in any way by being wished a Merry Christmas.
For the last few years, I’ve been intentional to wish people Merry Christmas. Do you know what they say? They thank me! They thank me for saying Merry Christmas…they’re tired of “Happy Holidays” too. That beautifully decorated tree in your living room? It’s a Christmas tree. It’s an old German Christian tradition that goes back about five centuries. Santa Claus? That tradition comes from Saint Nicholas, a Christian saint who would leave gifts in people’s shoes quietly and without being noticed.
Most importantly, and this cannot be minimized: Christmas is about Jesus. Christmas is the day we celebrate God sending His son to Earth to walk amongst us, to live the human condition for 33 years, then to go to the cross and suffer the worst execution man ever devised…for you and me…and then rise from the grave the victorious King! Christmas is the beginning of the greatest story ever told! Please hear me when I say this: Jesus is the reason for the season, and I’m not ashamed to say it! My savior was made incarnate man, and that’s why we celebrate Christmas.
I’m tired of hearing Happy Holidays. It’s Merry Christmas! (To my Jewish friends, Happy Chanukah!) Beyond that, this season is about Jesus! Jesus is the reason for the season! Now join me in saying it: MERRY CHRISTMAS!