Sunday, September 11, 2011

We Will Never Forget



Today marks the 10th Anniversary of the September 11th Attacks.  I remember that day vividly.  I was in college.  I was eating lunch at the student union when the guy who ran the Music Department library in the same building grabbed me and asked my help, told me not to ask questions.  I helped him bring a TV into the dining area just in time to see the second plane hit the towers.

I remember thinking about how I may be called to defend our country...after all I was 18 years old and healthy. I remember feeling anger. I remember a friend I'd known for years who was a committed Democrat admitting to me...think about it...that he was glad in light of this attack that George W. Bush was elected over Al Gore.

We look back, and I think we have forgotten what it was like on September 12, 2001. On THAT particular day we didn't care about political barriers, we cared about Americans. We were united. We were ready to defend our country. We were ready to defend each other. We've lost that.

Right now, it doesn't matter how you feel about the continuing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Right now I just want to say thank you to the soldiers who stand for our country and protect us and to the first responders, the firefighters, the police officers, the EMTs. Thank you to you all, and God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All posts will be reviewed subject to the Rules for Commenting. Any post that does not abide by these rules will not be posted, entirely at the discretion of the blog editor.

Commenters who repeatedly violate these rules will be permanently banned from commenting, and thus none of their comments, regardless of content, will be posted.